Hi, it’s been a long time but it’s Meg! Was quite busy with instagram, but would like to utilize this platform to share our delicious recipes again! I know many of you may be a beer fan, and my husband Sho also loves all kinds of beer, but have you even thought of making stew with beer? It was a mind blower for me when I first tasted beer stew made by my mother when I was little, and was fascinated that beer could become such a delicious dish when cooked! Today, I would like to share with you how to cook this recipe, which was my all time favorite dish from my mother’s recipes.
Beer Stew (Carbonade Flamande)
The beer stew probably probably originated in Belgium or North France with a name of “Carbonade Flamande”. It is usually made with beef or sometimes pork, and is simmered in black or brown beer. My mother’s version of this is made with chicken thighs, and I bet many people also arrange this dish with chicken too. From my point of view, I feel that the beer makes the meat tender and soft, that it falls apart once you take a bite into it. Beer has the power to make meat soft and tender. Also, the buttery fragrance of beer just triggers your appetite to a whole new level, and putting any kinds of vegetables of your choice increases your satisfaction to this dish. Like the original Carbonade Flamande, I believe onions are a MUST for this recipe. They literally melt in your mouth with all the umami stuffed into it.
Ingredients for Chicken Beer Stew
・Chicken- Tender chicken thighs are highly recommended, but breasts will do well if you are looking into a more healthier meal.
・Onion- Put loads inside, thinly sliced. I like mine with 2 whole onions. Their sweetness makes this dish so good!
・Beer- Any kind of beer will do! We usually buy low priced beers in the supermarkets, and it works 100% well.
・Any kinds of veggies of your choice- Be creative! My recommendations are garlic, mushrooms (esp. shiitake or enoki), zucchini, tomato… you name it!
・Seasonings- Salt, Pepper, Cumin, Olive Oil, Parsley etc. Anything that will boost your stew’s umami.
How do you cook Chicken Beer Stew?
- Cut the chicken into large chunks. Slice up your choice of veggies.
- In a frying pan, heat one table spoon of olive oil, and cook the chicken. Turn it over once half of the sides are cooked, and take them off the pan.
- Add another table spoon of olive oil into the pan and stir fry your veggies.
- Add a can of beer and put back the chicken into the pan to let it simmer in low heat for 15 minutes. Place a lid.
- Take off the lid and let it simmer in strong heat. Once the soup starts to get thick, add salt & pepper and your choice of seasonings and serve.